Sudbury Upper School

Sudbury Upper School
Sudbury Upper School

Sunday 30 March 2014

Teenage Rebel...


During my final year, when I got the occasional urge to be a bit of a rebel, I’d pop down to a pub in town called The Christopher during the one hour lunch break (a 20 minute walk!).

One day I gulped a half a lager too fast (no public concerns over underage boozing back then) and returned to afternoon English and maths worse for wear!

I got through the classes by the skin of my teeth but when my ‘mates’ took me to the sick room during break, instead of repeating the well-rehearsed “Miss, she’s sick” they blurted out “Miss, she’s drunk!”

They’d already taken me into the girls loo and filled a filthy old ashtray (!) with cold tap water and thrown it over me, so I looked a real treat.

Timing was everything… and I’d apparently timed my inebriation to perfection, as my parents were all ready en route to the school because my brother had been caught bunking off (again). That was the last time I ever nipped out during the lunch-break…..


Ironically, the pub is now called The Christopher Centre opened in 1994 and is dedicated to the promotion and support of local voluntary and community groups, including those dealing with alcoholics…


No comments:

Post a Comment